My mom and I designed this Hawaiian hula dancer costume. It was really easy to make!
First, make sure you get some measurements:
A – Around the chest * B – Around the waist
Cord or elastic
Two seashells and pink paint
Two hydrangeas, or a store bought lei and wreath
Scissors, gluegun and gluesticks
1) Cut a cord with measurement “B” plus 4″
2) Paint two seashells pink
3) Double up a bunch of raffia strands and cut at measurement “C”
4) Slip the strands of raffia under the cord or elastic
5) Make a raffia hoop on one side of the raffia
6) Pass the loose strands through to the other side to tie a knot
7) Make a tight knot
8) Repeat to make the skirt, leaving 2″ on either side
9) Cut two pieces of ribbon: #1–measurement “A” plus 2″, #2– measurement “D” plus 2″, folding “D” in half
10) Slip ribbon “D” under ribbon “A” and then through the hoop to make a tight knot
11) Glue some velcro to each end of the ribbon
13) Try on to make sure everything fits right
13) Glue the sea sells to the piece of ribbon for measurement “A”
14) Here Niqqi shows you what the top should look like when finished
15) Tie the skirt around the waist
16) You can make a lei and a wreath by glueing small flowers onto a cord
17) Niqqi loves her Hawaiian hula dancer costume…so much that
18) She dances a hula dance!
Niqqi, the Hula Dancer
I also put the instructions up on YouTube!
I hope you can get to make a Hawaian hula dancer costume soon! Let me know how you liked it!
PS: You can watch my hula dancing debut at my block party!